History of the Location
The location is steeped in Native American history and influenced by the Spanish conquest, Scottish Highlanders, and early British settlers including the famous pirate, Black Beard.
The area was home to the Guale and Yamasee Native American tribes, with the Creek and Timucua tribes nearby. The Yamasee and Guale were a multi-ethnic amalgamation of several groups located on Georgia’s coast. Eventually, Georgia's first rum distillery and sugarcane plantation was built in 1806 and operated until the hurricane of 1824. The land remained a sugar cane plantation until the Civil War.
After the war, Margaret Garnett purchased the property and named it Driftwood Plantation. Folklore has it that Mrs. Garnett hunted alligators while living off the land and aided in rum running during prohibition. She homesteaded Driftwood until her death at the age of 93.
The land remained in Mrs. Garnett’s family until 2013 when Ansley and Rafe Rivers bought Driftwood and renamed it Canewater Farm. Ansley and Rafe were both inspired by the opportunity to build a place dedicated to their passions of farming and studio art practice. Rafe runs the organic farm on the property growing a variety of mixed vegetables. Ansley is a practicing artist who built her studio and darkroom in the old rumrunners cabin adjacent to The Thicket.
For info on the farm, please visit canewaterfarm.com.